- Like This Article
- Like Our Page
This week BUF Founder, Libby Babet held a live Facebook chat about her journey from losing her period for more than 12 years, to finally getting it back and falling pregnant shortly afterwards. If you missed it, just hit play on today’s video for the full chat, or read the quick summary – and for those who did tune in, all resources that were mentioned are listed here for your reference!
Click play, or read on for a quick summary of what Lib covered…
A live chat with BUF Founder Libby Babet about restoring healthy periods – yep, it's all-out #GirlTalk tonight!
Posted by BUF Girls on Monday, July 2, 2018
7 of the most common reasons your periods might disappear:
- Coming off the pill
It’s fairly normal for your cycle to disappear, or become irregular for anywhere from 3-12 months after coming off the pill. It’s really important to nourish your body during this time to restore healthy hormone levels.
- Stress or illness
Whether it’s emotional, physical, environmental, nutrition-based, or trauma-induced stress, high cortisol levels can definitely chase your cycle away. Consider using relaxation techniques, taking walks in nature or looking at other stress reduction techniques, and reducing caffeine consumption (especially first thing in the morning on an empty stomach!) to restore balance.
- Energy availability (under eating / over-exercising)
This is a BIG one – these days women are often exercising intensely, restricting their eating, barely sleeping and expecting their bodies to keep up! Libby mentions having to increase her calories by about 700 per day and swapping some high-intensity workouts out for long, slow walks in order to create a positive energy balance as she worked towards restoring her cycle.
- Particular food choices
– Very low carb diet – women need carbs to keep their hormones balanced! This doesn’t have to mean flour and sugar though 😉 Starchy veggies, rice and other complex carbs should do the trick
– Very low fat diet – women need healthy fats to create healthy hormones! Avocado, oily fish, nuts/seeds, olive oil, grass-fed butter, egg yolk will all do the trick!
– High inflammation foods – these can definitely disrupt healthy hormone production, so if your diet is high in vegetable oils like canola and sunflower oil (hot tip these are in most packaged snacks!), deep fried foods, processed meats, refined sugar, crappy carbs and fast foods, these can definitely be problematic.
– Unbalanced vegetarian / vegan diet – if your vego/vegan diet is unbalanced and lacks variety, this can be an issue, as can eating too much soy and fake meat protein products
- Not enough sleep
Most women we work with fall into this category – getting six hours of sleep, give or take, per night and believing that they still feel energised so this can’t possibly be the reason their cycle has gone missing! Trust us, it likely IS! Making the effort to get somewhere in the realm of 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep per night is critical, as that’s the time your body uses to create your sex hormones!
- Poor gut health
Parasites you pick up travelling, an imbalance in the bacteria in your gut, these are all things that can throw your hormones out of whack!
- Medical reasons
There are a lot of more complex reasons your cycle can go MIA, but it’s worth checking you have the basics in order even if you’re investigating deeper issues!
Reasons you want a healthy cycle:
- Healthy moods
- Healthy metabolism and body weight
- Healthy hair and skin
- Healthy bones
- Healthy energy levels
Useful resources to help you get back on track:
THE BASICS (food, mindset, workouts)
- Try my 6-week online program, Totally BUF, to help you nail the basics and get off the calorie counting coaster!
- Totally BUF by Libby Babet & the BUF Girls (shameless plug!)
- Period Repair Manual by Lara Briden
- Healthy Hormones by Belinda Kirkpatrick
- No Period. Now What? By Nicola J. Rinaldi, PhD
- The Holistic Nutritionist by Kate Callaghan
- WomanCode by Alisa Vitti
- Rushing Woman’s Syndrome by Dr Libby Weaver
- The Superwoman Syndrome by Marjorie Hansen Shaevitz
- GUT by Giulia Enders
- @bufgirls (for fitspo that isn’t all about abs and cleavage! 😉
- How To Get Healthy And Get Pregnant
- Wellness Women Radio
- Well-Fed Women
- The No Sugarcoating Podcast
- The Period Party
- Don’t Salt My Game
- My Flo
- Seed App
- Podcasts App
- Calm (for simple/easy relaxation)
- BioScreen Test (you’ll need an integrative Dr to help you with this)
HELP IN-PERSON, IN SYDNEY
- Bourke Street Clinic (in particular Dr Claudia Lee who is amazing, but the others are fab too)
- Healthspace Clinics (17 locations all with fab practitioners)
- Rachael Haley Acupuncture (amazing!)
NOT IN SYDNEY?
- Do the FLO Coach Consultation at floliving.com
- Find a good Integrative Doctor, Naturopath, or Chinese Herbalist specialising in hormones/fertility in your area to guide your journey, or book an online appointment with Kate from theholisticnutritionist.com to get started
- Ask your doc for a referral to an endocrinologist or gynecologist if required
Happy period hunting ladies!!
- Like This Article
- Like Our Page